Tuesday, October 11, 2011

HERITAGE DAY

Mary-Jane Mabula                       

It was the beautiful voices that caught my attention while digging in a bowl of All bran flakes in the morning of September 23. As I listened attentively I noticed that people were ululating and cheering. Though to myself, “If I was at home I would say there’s a wedding next door, problem is I’m at home.” Like a journalist would do, I got my equipment ready and went to hunt for a story.

Students and lecturers went back to their roots and wore their cultural wear. The represented all african wear with a bit of a modern touch.






The Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) Education Department hosted a Heritage Day celebration were they embraced the cultural diversity of the faculty and the rest of the institution. From the lecturers to the students they all wore their cultural garments. “I feel proud to be in my cultural clothing because I feel natural and unmodified.” said Bongani Mahlangu, student. There were Swazi’s, Basotho, Zulu’s ,Bapedi and the list goes on.

The students showed great interest and support into the activities that took place during the vibrant celebration of one’s heritage. The programme kept them on their toes with dance performance by various group including the lecturers, a play that highlighted the concept of a ‘Calling’, storytelling and poetry. The day ended with a singing parade around the TCE residence.

No comments:

Post a Comment